Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Choosing To Live By Principles


Scripture
"See how each of you is following the stubbornness of his evil heart instead of obeying me" ( Jer. 16:12)

Observation

We still have a choice, don't we?

Entering the Kingdom of God is not the last choice we will make. It is like entering a football stadium. You get in, but now you still have to choose where you want to sit ... head for the grandstands or to the playing field.

Entering the Kingdom still leaves us with choices.

We can enter the Kingdom of God and be called "Christians" but still follow self-made rules. We can attend church but function according to our own perspective rather than God's. We still must choose by what rules we will govern our lives.

James reminds us that there is a wisdom from above and a wisdom from below. Both are called "wisdom," but they are worlds apart. You choose which one.

Application
We can even be pastors and yet lead our churches according to the wisdom of the world rather than the principles of God. The distinctions do not show up at first, but eventually, they will ... and when they do, the remedies are long and costly.

Individuals must choose. Families must choose. Churches must choose.

How often we determine the value of what we do by how we feel about it. But no longer! I cannot fall prey to that. I must choose according to blical principles, not according to how I feel about about those principle. Beacuse principles will operate whether I agree with them or not. And if I don't live by those principles, I am the eventual loser.

Regardless of how I feel, I will plan to live God's way and stick with it until He tells me differently. I must submit to His thoughts and His ways even if it means that I do not advance according to men's standards. Even if it means that no one notices and I have to live in the shadows, I will be fine with that.


Prayer

Dear Father, thank you for Your principles. They are like gold to me. May I ever treasure your statues and Your ordinances. They are like water to a thirsty soul.

I choose to not just enter the Kingdom, but take hold of it and live it with all my heart. I will not head for the grandstands. I will instead make my life available for your exclusive use until you reward me with eternity.

Note: A deeper understanding on principles and how they operate can be obtained from the sermon "Inside The Mind Of God" available for download at www.agape.org.sg