Saturday, April 04, 2009

Blogging Is Healthy


Neal Roese is one of the world’s top scientists studying regret. His valuable study is documented in his book 'If Only." One of the things he shows in his book is that thoughts about what might have been are practically unavoidable. In fact, they are produced spontaneously by the brain with a very practical goal--to guide us toward improvement. But the same thoughts can bring the pain of regret. Interesting.

But what most caught my attention from If Only is when Neal Roese says, "Blogging may be good for your health." He cites two primary health benefits to blogging. First of all, it is a form of "processing emotions." There is an old aphorism: confession is good for the soul. The process of verbalizing or writing helps us untangle our thoughts and emotions. This helps de-clutter both the brain and heart and hence increases general health.


The second benefit is more psychological. Social psychologist Laura King says that writing "may serve to integrate life experiences into a larger, more sensible framework. In other words, blogging helps us make sense of our lives. Dr. Roese says, "It is merely the act of looking back in detail - reviewing and integrating - that is the most basic ingredient underlying the value of blogging."

I am more and more convinced that blogging is a spiritual discipline of postmodern times. It's the way Habbakuk was asked by the Lord to write down the Revelation (Habakkuk 2:1). It's the way Mary pondered things in her heart in Luke 2:19. It's a form of cyber-meditation.


Blogging is one way I reflect on life and the Lord ala II Timothy 2:7. It just bleses me that someday my grandchildren will know what I was thinking on any given day because I was blogging. I wish my early mentors had blogged. Blogging serves your posterity. It is one one way we live and learn. And keep growing, breaking stagnation.


Can I convince you to start blogging?