Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More Meetings?




I have been so busy lately. By that I mean I really have more to do right now than my usual workload. Like last night, I came home at almost eleven from a meeting and discovered that I still have a whole list of emails to respond to. And yesterday was a marathon of meetings. Well, it is not any diferrent today. In 45 minutes, I am off to another meeting and then another 2.30 pm meeting. There are days when I go six straight hours with meetings (with a lunch break) without coming up for a breath.

But before I go on another meeting marathon today, I just must blog this.

I don't want to die doing a meeting simply out of duty or boredom and never want anyone attending the meetings I lead to leave uninspired. So, I love a meeting that has an agenda; that gives a meeting positive energy. A meeting that stretches the mind and gives a lift to what is next possible.

Ever had one of those meetings where you don't have the guts to come right out and ask: why are we meeting? So you play detective and you can't figure it out for the life of you. An hour later you're still clueless. Everyone looks like they are saying what is politically correct but deep inside they have another story brewing? Those meetings can drain the life of you and you come home empty. I never like those meetings and if you are going from one meeting to another that is of that kind, it will be a matter of time that something in you dies.

One of the simple lessons I've learned is to try to ascertain the objective of the meeting before the meeting. One of the things I wrestle with is this. I tend to be a little more task-oriented than relationship-oriented in the meeting context. But for a meeting to carry life, there must be the balance between work and relationships. It adds fun to the functions of a meeting.

Anyway, here are a few meeting tips for people with busy schedules:

1) Pray for the meeting before the meeting - it can turn an ordinary meeting into a divine appointment.

2) Let your team know upfront what to expect and what the meeting is going to be about - it helps them come a little prepared.

3) Get to the point and don't beat around the bush

4) Ask lots of questions- just make people think. It helps them grow.

5) Remember that your time is the one of the greatest gifts you can give to people. Be wise. Be generous.

6) Finally, remember being busy is not equal to being significant. Your significance is in who you are in Christ and not how busy you are for Him.

Enjoy your meetings! I am off to enjoying mine today.