Monday, December 03, 2007

Resolve Conflicts To Receive Blessings!




S
cripture
"Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church! I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers?" (1 Corinthians 6:4-5)

Observation

Recently, I heard news from a fellow pastor about an irreconcilable dispute among leaders in a local church. He was called in to arbitrate between the two opposing groups but it was to no avail. The rift became greater and the wounds ran deeper.

Yesterday, as I began the introductory message to the book of Acts, I outlined five major themes that run through the book of Acts. One of them is the way the early church managed conflicts. Conflicts were common in the early church yet they managed to deal with conflicts without affecting the unity of the body.

God expects us to resolve the disputes among ourselves with great care and biblical expediency. If we cannot do this among ourselves, what hope has the world? If we amputate our relationships that go sideways or marginalize those who disagree with us, why should non-believers join our ranks? If we have schisms and splits, slanders and unresolved disputes, why then do we preach that others should become Christians?

If our marriages are fraught with anger and if we tolerate relational distances between believers as if it were normal, then how can God use us? Are we not fleshly and carnal? See what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 3 ...

"I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?"

Here we find that our ability to receive will be determined by our maturity in Christ. And our maturity in Christ will be determined by how fleshly we still are ... do we retain jealousy? Is there strife unresolved? These determinates will mark our ability or inability to receive: whether these are spiritual gifts, blessings, or resources. We will be unable to do so until we mature in our ability to make sound and biblical judgments.

Application
I must give myself no margin of error that allows me to hold grudges or unresolved differences. Of course this does not mean that I be foolish and gullible to those who aim to demean or destroy, neither does it mean that I be unwise and make myself vulnerable to unnecessary attacks. I will be wise as serpents but harmless as doves (Matt. 10:16) for God has indeed sent us out as sheep in the midst of wolves. However, I will not make myself a wolf in order to protect or defend myself. I will choose the high road.

Why? Because I have so much more I need to receive! As Paul said in 1 Corinthians, if we tolerate these character deficiencies, we will be unable to receive. I cannot afford that. I must remain biblical regardless of the circumstances. Even now, I will scour my heart to remove any residual remains of any unresolved contention. I cannot make room for these things that will reduce my capacity to receive from God.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, may I model my life after yours. You were attacked, but it didn't twist You into someone who would later resemble Your attackers. You kept a heart of redemption. Please make me more like you today!