Monday, July 14, 2008

Dealing With Divisive People




S
cripture
"But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned." (Titus 3:9-11)

Observation
Leadership requires us to make some hard calls, and here's one of them...

"After settling that, have nothing to do with him."
Ouch.

End of the line. Final curtain. End of the story. Curtain call.

This lesson is less about cutting someone off and much more about the importance of unity versus divisiveness. God is very serious about us getting along with one another! And when someone chooses to be about dividing rather than uniting, God says let him cut himself off before he cuts people off from one another.

Can't get much stronger than that!

Application
I need to look more for opportunities to unite and bring together. I don't think I spend enough energy in the area of uniting people. I need more epoxy and less thinner, more pull and less push. When juicy opportunities arise to speak disparagingly, I must be very careful of my words. I know as a pastor and leader, I cannot whitewash everything lest I become gullible to Alexander, the coppersmiths who in 2 Timothy 4:14, did Paul "much harm. Therefore, be on guard against him yourself." But for the most part, I can avoid needless speculations and wranglings that only lead to disunity. Even as juicy as the opportunity may be to get in a jab, refraining may save me from finding myself outside the gates.

Prayer
Father, thank you for reminding me (and please do this often!) that You feel VERY strongly about the unity of your people. Help me to have the same heart as you have in these matters, and in doing so, I can be a part of answering one of Your prayers!

".... that they [the Church] may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me" John 17:22-23

(Jesus' final priestly prayer)