Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Never Leave Your Wingman



Scripture

"There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death" (Proverbs 14:12).

"Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed" (Proverbs 15:22).

Observation

Sometimes it seems easier when we're allowed to fly solo in life.
  • Driving a car - no one likes a "back seat driver;";
  • Cooking a pot of stew - too many cooks "spoil the soup."
We have the same tendency when it comes to life and leadership. Our natural inclination is to fly solo in decisions that we make. We find ourselves caught up with the busyness of life and view consulting with others as a delay which steals time from the process of moving ahead.

In the movie, "Top Gun," fighter pilots are instructed to fly with a "wingman" into battle. Although trained to be the best of the best in air to air combat, without their wingman, they're subject to blind spots that weakens their defense increasing the risk of being shot down. In a pivotal scene, Tom Cruise, call sign is "Maverick", during a combat training exercise had his sights set on an opportunity that would increase his score. It would be a daring maneuver that required him to choose: wait for his wingman to catch up, or take the fight into his own hands. Rather than wait, Maverick lived up to his call sign and attacked on his own. However, by doing so he exposed his blind side to the "enemy" and his aircraft was immediately "shot down." He was later chastised by the flight commander, "don't ever leave your wingman."

"Mavericks" don't last long in air to air combat and neither will they survive in life and leadership. As instructed by Proverbs, wingmen are so necessary. Rather than a "time stealer" having a wingman to consult actually becomes a time saver; saving us time from having to undo mistakes and errors we would have missed along the way, seeing our decision from different perspectives. They save us from crashing and burning in life.

Application
Sometimes I think there is more "Maverick" in me than I tend to realize (no wonder "Top Gun" is one of my all-time favourites). There is an inclination to fly fast in my decisions and my ways and I fail to realize the wisdom of seeking counselors and outside advice. If I am to succeed, however, in life and leadership, I must heed the same commands "Maverick" received: "do not leave your wingman," especially when flying into battle.

Prayer
Father, thank you for the reminder and the wisdom of Your proverbs. Life was meant to be lived in relationship with wingmen, especially when it comes to the decisions that I make. Thank you, Lord, for surrounding me with wise counselors. They are a valued resource that I must not take for granted. Above all, however, You are the ultimate Wingman in my life. Instruct my soul, O God, in your Word and your Ways, continually. I so need You!