Monday, June 25, 2007

The Siphon of a Complacent Heart



S
cripture
"Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you. ...brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right." (2 Thessalonians 3:1, 6, 13)

Observation
Placing a priority on the Gospel Message was Paul's earnest purpose. He warns Christians not to hang with people who are lazy, busy about living for their own cravings and not by the teachings of the Lord.

My heart can be easily siphoned by complacency when I am influenced by low energy, apathetic, half-hearted people. It's easy to tire when I'm not doing what is "right" in God's eyes.

Application

I have had a very busy yet fulfilling first six months in 2007. It all let to two church camps I had the privilege to minister in. One was the Downpour camp with Agape and the other was with another church. Then my family and I had one of the most fulfilling holiday in Saigon (see the last post.) It was fulfilling because we were targeted in what we wanted to do in the holiday and we all were fully agreed to it, together. As a result, we moved as one one, although we are four different individuals, each with our own unique bend when it comes to holidays.

Coming back, I feel ready to run the next lap. But before I can do that, I felt I needed to de-clutter my heart from anything and every thing that will slow me down to a place of spiritual complacency. That is why the text this morning from 1 Thess meant so much to me.

I must be careful not to expose my heart and attitude to lazy grumblers, people who talk a lot but when it comes to the doing, they are not there. It's seems harsh for me to think that I get drained by people making excuses. But it's true.

I recognize this within myself, when I catch myself making excuses or being complacent, justifying myself because I'm not living up to what God is calling me to. Apathetic attitudes siphon my own spirit.

This next lap, I want to live differently by:
  • Recognizing lazy and complacent attitudes within my life.
  • Being careful not to allow unbiblical, negative talk around me, siphon my fervour for working from my heart for Jesus.
  • Reminding myself to keep the Word of God spreading rapidly and accurately, a priority in my life.
  • Ensuring that I stay true to scripture in my living and in all my teaching
  • Place my schedule under evaluation of the Lord daily to make sure I'm "doing what is right" in His eyes.
Prayer

Dear God,
Forgive me for my complacent, apathetic attitudes. I want my heart to be filled with joy to spread Your Wotrd rapidly through my life. Help me to do what is right in Your eyes and never tire doing so. I need You and love You so much!