Thursday, June 28, 2007

Three Keys That Keep You Up!




S
cripture
"Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality" (Romans 12:10-13).

Observation
In this passage Paul is encouraging the Christians in Rome to live in a way that brings honor to God. It begins with kindness and love, honoring each other by giving preference to others. In other words, I'm not fighting for what I want; I'm more interested in being a blessing to others around me.

Next, he talks about not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit: it's a commitment to work hard for the Lord, with a passionate love and joy. Not being lazy or apathetic, but sincerely excited about Jesus and truly grateful for the amazing things that He has done for us.

But it's the next verse: Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer: This is the verse that really caught my attention as I was reading today. Those three things, (1) rejoicing in daily life, even when you can't see a reason to rejoice but knowing that because of God we have every reason to rejoice! And (2) being patient in the midst of trials and hard times; knowing that my God is completely in control. And the reason for the ability to rejoice, the hope, and the patience no matter what? (3) Continuing steadfastly in prayer! Yes, meeting with God in prayer, getting a bigger vision of who He is, how much He loves us, and knowing that nothing is too difficult for Him! And asking, ..for His power and strength, His love and joy to be released into our hard places. So often it's our hearts that need to change before God will change our circumstances.

These three things are vital to our daily victorious life. Because what is it that the enemy is so busy trying to do to us? To steal our joy and hope. To kill our patience and trust in God. To ultimately destroy us by discouragement through wave after wave of trials and tribulation; doubts and confusions.

Application
The enemy pours out his non-stop lies every day. And if I'm not careful, he can sneak some of those lies past my defenses, and it can really mess up my day, and eventually my destiny! But the answer to his lies are rejoicing in hope, being patient in every difficulty because I can trust my God, and continuing steadfastly in prayer, taking His word as my compass, and His Name as my confidence.

The bottom line is that the quality of my life is determined by my attitude from moment to moment. If I can make these three keys a part of my daily life, I'll be in great shape!

Prayer
Heavenly Father, Your Word tells me that the joy of the Lord will be my strength, and if there's something that I could use more of in my daily life it would be Your strength. I ask Your help to fully apply what You have spoken to me, and that by the power of Your Holy Spirit I would be continually rejoicing in hope of Your perfect plan, no matter what the circumstances may look like; patient in every difficult situation, totally aware that You promise to work it together for good; and continually in prayer and fellowship with You, opening Your Word with delight, daily. Practicing those three things will help me to be a vessel available and useful to You, My King! Thank You, Lord! In Jesus' name. Amen!