Monday, October 01, 2007

What Is Discipleship?




S
cripture
"And Jesus said to him, "The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." And He said to another, "Follow Me." But he said, "Permit me first to go and bury my father." But He said to him, "Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God." And another also said, "I will follow You, Lord; but first permit me to say good-bye to those at home." But Jesus said to him, "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." Luke 9:58-62

Observation
Discipleship costs. Although our salvation is a free gift from God, there is a price that we must be willing to pay if we are to truly follow Him. Just as He suffered on the cross and sacrificed Himself for us, there are sufferings and sacrifices we must be open and willing to accept as being a part of our lifelong walk with Him.

But suffering and sacrifice are "foreign words" in our present vocabulary, aren't they. Our society has sold us a contrarian view – that comfort and convenience should rule instead. We live in a world where convenience is "king." We're constantly lured by marketing schemes and advertisements to products that offer us "the good life."

For example, it isn't enough anymore to simply own a telephone. From rotary dialed handsets, to push button dialup, the telephone has advanced to cell phones and now to the all-inclusive "iPhone." And in this technology war, one can bet on seeing even further advances in the future – all aimed at the consumer's convenience. Sacrifice and suffering – two words that may have become foreign to the world, but so necessary in a disciple's life, if we are to "walk the talk" of a disciple.

Application
Sometimes being a disciple is easier said than done. It's easier to say that we bear the cross of a Christian, than to actually carry the cross. It's easier to say that we're willing to sacrifice ourselves for Christ, than to actually live through the consequences of our belief. If I am going to accept the challenge of discipleship, then I must be willing to not just proclaim my discipleship, but be willing to live it, regardless of my needs, wants and desires, my ambitions, past achievements and successes.

Prayer
Father, I put my hand to the plow and will never look back. May I live my life for you.