Monday, October 08, 2007

Stewards, Not Owners!



Scripture
When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (Luke 18:22).

Observation
This may seem at first glance, an abandonment of all possessions. It seems to say that if you are to "really" follow God, your have to somehow take a vow of poverty, rejecting all earthly goods.

A high price to pay for anyone! However, as we read further, we find that this is not an abandonment but a transition ... a transition from being an "owner" to being a "steward." We need to view it as becoming a steward, not a slave.

It's like a person who enlists into national service. He. He must leave his old clothes at home. His possessions and toys will need to be left behind because he can't bring them with him into the army. But now, he will receive his rations and even his clothing; they will be supplied by the army.

The same is true with the Lord. We will be provided for, but everything we need are provided by the King whom we serve. And His provisions are actually better than we can fare on our own. Either I will provide for myself, or I will choose to live God's way and allow Him to provide for me.

Application
Over the years, I had to learn how to live life as a steward and let God provide for me in His way. And it has always been far better than mine! Example after example fills my mind on how God has provided... and He provided exactly what I needed; when I needed it, without fail.

Look what we find a few verses later in verse 29: "I tell you the truth," Jesus said to them, "no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life."

Here we find that God promises to replace what we have given to Him many times over ... in this life! He has no desire for His people to live in abject poverty for the sake of the Kingdom. It is rather, a promise that He will provide in far greater ways. Oh yes, there may be times of lack, but if I am a steward, the "amount" He entrusts to me is His choice, not mine. My choice will be the condition or the stewardship of what He has entrusted. Not "how much," but rather "how am I using and investing" what I have been given - and I need to use all my resources, knowing God is owner, I am just a steward; a manager.

P
rayer
Lord, How thankful I am for your goodness and grace. You are so kind and abundant. I choose to live your way and follow you. Lord, everything You place in my hands is Yours. You are the owner. I am a steward.