Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Character In A Cave



Scripture
Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me. Set me free from my prison that I may praise your name. Psalm 142:6-7

Observation
Caves are dark, dreary, and desolate. Claustrophobia, dizziness, and even suffocation become real dangers if you venture too far in. The walls seem to close in, and you feel imprisoned as the ceiling seems to be pressing down lower and lower.

Application
We've all experienced times in our lives where we've felt like the things of life have pursued us and chased us into a cave. We find ourselves wandering aimlessly through dark and dismal caverns of existence thinking, "There's nowhere for me to turn. Surely, this is the end." And we rely on our own strength to get us out. We scream; we get mad; we frustrate; we fret; we fume.

But the reality is that God does some of his best work in our lives when we are inside the darkest caves. He is the light that can guide us out and the air we can breathe when life seems to suffocate us and cut us off. We just need to put our pride aside and turn to him.

When you find yourself facing life in a cave, don't allow pride to keep you from getting out. Admit to God that you need his help, rely on his light and refreshing breath and experience the freeing power of his helping hand.

This morning I am reminded how many times God has used caves to craft my character. Without time, there are some lessons I would have never learnt and some character traits I would have never developed.

Prayer
Lord, thank you for providing me hope in the caves of life. Thank you for the times in the cave that allow me to experience some of your best work. Help me to trust you, rely on you and follow you through all the caves of my life. In Jesus' name, Amen.