Saturday, January 05, 2008

Grace Works Hard




S
cripture
"For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them - yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me." (1 Cor. 15:9-10)

Observation
Grace requires work! Sounds like opposites, doesn't it? Sort of like the perceived difference between faith and works. But here, Paul shares his insights on God's grace. It is not something when given, it dismisses us from any labor. Instead, it makes us labor all the more! God's grace is not an excuse. It is the very reason.

For example, if I should be fired, but instead, I am given "grace," then in keeping with that gift, I will become the best worker in the company, not the laziest. I will become the most diligent, not the least.

Grace gives me the reason to work hard and labor with passion for the Christ Who gave me grace!

I wonder if sometimes we mistake "God's grace" for God's leniency. God may be merciful, but not lenient. He is forgiving, not blind. He is a God of grace, not favoritism or partiality.

Application
I want to exude the grace of God on my life by being diligent and hard working, ethical and frugal. I am what I am because of the grace of God. And I will labour diligently, not me but the grace of God that is with me!

Prayer
Lord Jesus, thank you for your grace on my life. May I example your grace at work in me.