Thursday, March 06, 2008

Devotion That Releases His Presence




S
cripture
Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. At the Lord's command they encamped, and at the Lord's command they set out. They obeyed the Lord's order... (Numbers 9:22).

Observation
It wasn't the weather. It wasn't the money. It wasn't the terrain nor was it the deadlines that dictated the schedule and movement of the Isrealites.

It was instead the presence of the Lord.

Last Sunday, I opened the Word to Rev 2 - the church that had so much going but had lost her devotion to the Lord. The result? The Lord removed from that house the lampstand which represented his presence.

The absence of devotion removes the presence of God in our midst.

Application

I am still learning all of the ramifications of this, but one thing I do know ... if the hand of God is not there, if His presence is not seen, everything gets harder - we then start to strive; we get frustrated and drained.

We can have great technology, great innovation, super ideas and wonderfully talented people, but it will be the Presence of God that will make all the difference in the world.

So what is the Presence of God? What do we mean by "The Hand of God?" How is it recognized?

It is not always some empirical, scientifically provable fact. It can be more intuitive. You notice it by the marks of His presence ... like a wonderful sense of unity, a joy, a desire to see God move, a freshness in worship and a receptivity in hearts. It is seen in the unity between co laborers in the ministry, a willing heartedness, and the fruit of salvations and lives being changed.

His absence will deliver the opposite of this. A cynicism, doubt, "what's in it for me," and an unwillingness to change.

I long for the Presence of God. I can have the funds, the staff and gifted church volunteers, the energy ... but until He gives His blessing and hand, we will be running uphill and against the wind.

Prayer
Dear Father, I continue to pray for your presence to be on the ministry and my life. I know that without you, I can do nothing. I will fry my engines and be gone. So keep your hand on my life and the ministry of Agape I pray. Teach me to know how to posture myself and my heart such that devotion for You is always growing in my life. In Jesus Name, Amen