Thursday, March 27, 2008

Making Wise, Not Just Right Choices



S
cripture
"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:8-9)

Observation
Those in the army know first hand about a command from a superior officer. It overrides your personal choice. If you are commanded to line up outside your barracks in two minutes, you might be tired, and you may not have brushed your teeth yet, but those choices are trumped by a greater choice ... the choice to obey. I might have a choice when it comes to choosing between two equal options. But between brushing my teeth or obeying my company commander? These are not equal options.

Obeying his command or taking time to brush my teeth first ... that is really no choice at all. The choice has been made by the one I am called to obey.

Choice is enacted when there is an option between two somewhat equal options, not between a low option and an extraordinarily high one. Where there is that much disparity, "choice" is removed and wisdom dictates my move. Not choice. When choice is dictating, then I am wrestling with two equal options.

God speaks to Joshua as he would a military man... "Have I not commanded you...?"
These are not two equal options. Joshua had only one choice in this situation, and that we to obey God. Choice is between two equal options. Wisdom is when we see the huge difference and move quickly to obey. To not do so bring consequences that are so disparate to the crime.

In other words, if a soldier said to the officer, "I decided, I had to make a choice between your command and brushing my teeth, so I chose to brush my teeth."
Not a wise choice.

Death or life? Not a choice.
Bright future or dark? Not a choice. They are not equal.
Heaven or hell? Not a choice. Not equal.
God's blessings or Satan's deception? No choice. Not equal.

Application
I must make the commands of Jesus so great that it so unbalances the options that there really is no choice at all. It leaves me only with wisdom. Wisdom comes when we see the difference and recognize the huge disparity between what my flesh wants to do and what God is commanding.
The bigger the difference, the easier the choice, and greater the wisdom will be deposited to your account. The smaller you make the difference, the harder the choice, and you will experience a loss of wisdom.

I must see the ways of God so high and so far removed from earthly things that obeying Him is an automatic response of wisdom.
It is no choice at all!

Prayer
Lord Jesus, I so desire to be a man of wisdom, and I know the only way to that end is to first increase your worth so far above all else, that your commands becomes a joy I revel in rather than a choice I wrestle with. Your love for me is higher than the heavens are above the earth. I have no choice but to serve You, and therein lies the beginnings of wisdom.

Final Note
This Sunday, I begin a new series DISCOVERING GOD'S WILL.
It is about making the right decisions to ensure we are in the right directions in life.
It takes wisdom in making those right choices.
The series will equip you with the wisdom that you will need to make those choices.