Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Life Hypnosis



As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years, but no one could heal her. She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped. "Who touched me?" Jesus asked. Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed.
Luke 8:42-45; 47

If you've ever driven for a long period of time, you have probably experienced road hypnosis. It happens when the rhythm of the car and the monotony of your surroundings lull you into a blank state subconsciously. You can still navigate the road, yet you can't recall what vehicles were around you, what exits you passed, or any of the other essentials to driving.

Many of us suffer from a similar condition called life hypnosis. This happens when we become so consumed by our busy schedules that we ignore our surroundings, or when our thoughts lull us into a blank state where we walk right past people without ever noticing them or their needs.

Jesus had a very busy schedule. He was a carpenter and a ministry leader. He could have easily passed over crowds of people to attend to his own private agenda, yet he made time to interact with the masses. He never let his own agenda keep him from noticing and meeting the needs of the people around him.

Somehow I find the weeks getting busier and busier. There is always so much to do, I often find myself in danger of life hypnosis. But I refuse to live a life at such a low plane! So last week I made a special trip to the post office to send a dear one overseas a pair of glasses that he needed. I called my adoptive mother in Alor Setar every other day to see how she was doing. Yesterday, I visited the husband of one of the members of my church who has since passed away and the man received the Lord! And last night I caught a movie with my family.

God has specifically placed people in your path so that you could meet their needs. He wants to bless them through you, and then bless you in the process. Don't let the busyness of life distract you from adding a personal touch to the needs of the people around you. Instead, follow Jesus' example and exchange your agenda for the agenda of God.

A Prayer for Today

Lord, if I have been guilty of allowing the distractions of life to keep from noticing the needs of those around me, please forgive me. You have placed me in the path of others so that I can meet their needs. I want to exchange my agenda for yours. In Jesus' name, Amen.