Monday, July 16, 2007

Public Face And Private Face




S
cripture
"Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth" (1 Timothy 3:14)

Observation
Do we have two sides of life? Seems like we do. I see that everyday in the political world. I even see it in religion. I see it in the market place.

Which is most important? Are they equally as critical?

Maybe it's not how we act when in the floodlights. Maybe it's how we act in the shadows... when things are delayed and postponed. When there's no one around that we feel we have to impress. That's who we really are.

When the platoon commander is present, soldiers show respect. But as soon as he leaves, they default to cynicism and rampant defiance.

Paul takes time to remind us that there is indeed a certain conduct in God's household during the "delays of life." He tells us: "If I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves..."

Application
Maybe that's the real us! When we are delayed. When things aren't pre-scripted and choreographed and structured. Maybe the true "us" is not packaged with our pleasantness and eloquence in public. Whether we are before the spotlights or the in front of the home fires, we are reminded that we are called to be the pillars and supports of the truth.

The best remedy

We never know who is watching us. We would go crazy trying to be two people. We might forget which one we are in any given moment! So the best remedy? The best is to be genuine to the core ... to be consistently the same one who is in the spotlights as the one who is in the shadows.

Last week in East Timor I had a wonderful time relating to my fellow pastors in Love Singapore, dear friends of mine. We laughed much and simply enjoyed each others company. Someone observing us, senior pastors, asked me one evening: "You are a public figure," she said. " How do you handle the discrepancy of having to have a public image and a private one?" She was probably thinking that once I am in my own ministry setting, I would put on a different front.

My answer was simple. I told her that once you divide your public face from your private one, you've already bought trouble. We cannot have two faces. The best is stay with the same disposition under every lighting condition. You will be much happier! And I am the same fun-loving person whether I am with my staff, my family or my friends. I just want to have one face.

That is what authenticity is, isn't it? We all have to work hard to maintain who we are... the one we are when we have no one to impress and nothing to prove and where we have nothing to lose. If we feel we have to put on a public face to please the masses, we will soon find ourselves morphing into the image of man.

Press into the image of God so you don't lose yourself. That is how we were created in the first place. Be yourself at all times. People will enjoy more of you!

Prayer
Dear Father: Thank you for creating me in Your image. Help me to be vigilant to stay that way. In fact the best thing I can do to find myself is to become more and more like You everyday! That way, I won't lose who I am along the way.