Friday, July 20, 2007

Spiritual Amnesia




S
cripture
"When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me." (Hosea 13:6)

Observation
There are times we live content because everything is going well - everyone is fed, healthy, we are squeaking by with bills being paid, work is flowing fairly well, relationships are not strained --- but we tend to forget about the Lord who orders our steps and blesses our lives. This was the scenario for the children of Israel, as the Lord speaks through Hosea to remind us all. Being too satisfied can be a dangerous and slippery place for us to be in life.

Application
I've seen it happen with the people of God - the very ones who know to give God all honour for all the great blessings of the Lord - when they fall into spiritual amnesia, forgetting the very One who provides for and satisfies their lives.

It's too easy to slip into a prideful state of heart and mind. The dangerous thing is that I can drift into a satisfaction, a current that leads me to pride. It's a mindset that "I deserve what I am blessed with." I've seen great leaders and blessed people of God fall into the trap of spiritual amnesia.

How do I avoid this trap?
Let me give us two ways:

(1)...to always check my level of humility especially when I'm being blessed by God and working hard. It's when I'm working hard and sense His blessing that a boastful satisfaction creeps up on me. The "warning signal" flashes in my heart!


(2)...to always consider the poor. If I serve those in need, considering the needs of others and being a giver, this helps keep my life in balance. That is the reason why we should seriously consider a very generous gift to Shallom School in Dili, East Timor on Mission Sunday (5th August). When we give to the poor, we give to the Lord. We don't allow the blessings to become more important than the the Blesser.

Prayer
Dear God - What a great reminder for my heart - and so timely. At a time I sense Your hand and favour upon me, I need the reminders of today's word, lest I slip into spiritual amnesia. Help me to be kind to people around me and humble in heart and service.