Tuesday, July 03, 2007

To enjoy life is a gift from God!




S
cripture
"I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good in one's lifetime; moreover, that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labour - it is the gift of God." (Ecclesiastes 3:12)

Observation
Solomon was a bit cynical in his writings, but a singular theme surfaces over and over ... Here it is: rejoice in each day. Every breath and each activity is worthy of our notice!

Of course, if what you do is totally absent of eternal purpose, then indeed, vanity of vanity, all is vanity. But that is not my usual problem. I am often too single minded and ultra-focused.

While accomplishing tasks, we miss life. While growing ministry, we miss the growing kids. While hurrying to keep schedules, we exchange meetings for meaning.

Application
So today, I will take time to enjoy it, not just complete it. Instead of typing out this devotional in order to feel a sense of accomplishment, I will instead, enjoy the flow of thought; the adjectives that bring the words to life, and the rhythm of sentences that orchestrate truth. Even my Vietnamese coffee tastes better (and stronger) when I decide to let my taste buds experience the roast!

Hey, wait a minute. The sky is blue! I didn't even notice that till now. Cotton clouds drift slowly by, hoping I will notice them, and the strong stout trees that I drive past every day to and from work on Upper Thomson Road draw attention to themselves by rustling their leaves in the wind. Life is actually splendid when I take a moment ... to enjoy the moment.

Today is Tuesday and Tuesdays are very busy days with early morning mentoring with my pastors and staff meeting at mid-morning and then staff mentoring in the afternoon. But what warmed my heart about today was the fact that we did not just sail through the day from meeting to meeting without meaning. We had time to celebrate three birthdays at the staff lunch. We had even more time to affirm one another as we reflected on leadership issues at the staff mentoring time. And we closed the day with time to pray for our families who are in need. We lived the day, we didn't just rush through it doing work!


Prayer
Lord Jesus, I want to be not just a man of purpose but also a man of peace; a peace that starts on the inside. I remember the old rabbinic saying which says: "One day God will hold us accountable for all the things He created for us to enjoy, but we refused to do so." I don't want to be guilty of that. I must ruthless remove all hurry from my life, and in doing so, I will be able to hear your voice more clearly and sense your heart more poignantly and live my life more meaningfully and love the people around me more dearly. Amen.