Thursday, July 05, 2007

Any Worth In Giving Up My Rights?




S
cripture
"Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant..." (Phil. 2:6-8).

Observation
"But emptied Himself." The great "Kenosis" passage, which in the Greek means He "laid aside His privileges." He, who although was fully God, did not grasp what was His, but He voluntarily laid it aside. And because He did, He won our salvation and we are alive today because of His commitment.

Application
I know there will be times that I must also lay aside my privileges. The things that are my rights, my choice, my volition ... things I CAN do. But simply because I can and because I "desire to," does not mean that I should.

How many times we may wake up with an urge to leave a marriage, relationship, or a ministry. It might be our right to do so. We may feel righteous to do so. We might even have the rationale and the opportunity to follow through on our desire! Still, we may need to "lay aside our privilege" and stay put. How many times have I felt this urge! But after remaining, I look back and each time, I have been SO GLAD that I laid aside that privilege and emptied myself! I have found that I may need to get out of the pain but not out of the position. Out of the confusion but not out of the calling.

There are many other privileges that I've discovered it's better to lay aside. For example, though one may be the boss who has the authority direct or demand certain tasks to be done. I've found that it is better to request and politely ask instead. It not only gets the task done, but it also increases morale. We may need to "lay aside the privilege" of being a boss and take on the form of a servant. For indeed leaders are there to serve those in his care so that their best is brought forth. That is the sign of a good leader.

As husbands, we should "lay aside the privilege" often especially when it comes to telling the wife what to do! Many of us have learned the hard way, and if we do not, we will experience a hard life!

In the past couple of months I had the privilege of walking through the pain of a dear couple whose marriage was severely tested. Things are better now but the only reason there is no bitter sting to that relationship was because the wife refused to abdicate her position despite her pain. She chose to honour her calling to be a wife in the midst of the chaos that surrounded her marriage. She "laid aside her rights" and took on the towel instead of the sword. And she emptied herself. She did the ultra unusual and God is coming through for that marriage.

Prayer
Dear Jesus, You were willing to lay aside Your privilege of being GOD! Help me to be willing to lay aside those much smaller privileges and in the same way, watch redemption and wholeness be the result of the kenosis moments of a leader, a husband, a father, a friend. Thank you for inaugurating the way for each of us, for what You did makes what we should do so much more worthy and understandable. Give me Your power and wisdom as I learn to serve Your people.