Wednesday, July 18, 2007

First Things First




S
cripture
"Then Pul king of Assyria invaded the land, and Menahem gave him a thousand talents of silver to gain his support and strengthen his own hold on the kingdom...

Pekahiah son of Menahem became king of Israel in Samaria, and he reigned two years. Pekahiah did evil in the eyes of the LORD...

In the time of Pekah king of Israel, Tiglath-Pileser king of Assyria came and took Ijon, Abel Beth Maacah, Janoah, Kedesh and Hazor. He took Gilead and Galilee, including all the land of Naphtali, and deported the people to Assyria." (2 Kings 15:19,24, and 29).

Observation
It began with those who make every reader weary of reading again and again, "And so and so did evil in the sight of the Lord." It repeats itself into ad nauseum. Menahem tried to buy an alliance with a thousand talents of silver (37 tons! or 150 million Sing dollars!) But it didn't work. Beginning in 740 to 721 BC, the Assyrians took Israel captive and deported them. This was the end of the ten tribes.

Money, alliances, and military strategy will not compensate for unresolved sin in the eyes of the Lord. It's like painting over a rusted fender or putting a carpet over termite eaten floors. It's a quick fix, but it is not a long term remedy.

Application
How I must check my heart often and again. It has a tendency to weeds. It has a leaning toward worldliness. Constant vigilance is required. A daily scrubbing.

Today, I will again check the bearings of my heart, the course of my life, and be sure I am accurately following the GPS the Lord placed within me. I will always retrace what is most important in my life:
  1. A healthy, personal,relationship with Christ that is growing.
  2. A genuine marriage and a close family.
  3. A healthy ministry that overflows out of my walk with God.
  4. A healthy body and a healthy soul that is creative.
  5. Time to enjoy life with family and friends.
And under number one, I will check my soul to be sure that my compass is working and that there is no unresolved sin under the carpet.

Prayer
Dear Father, keep me on target in this season of my life. In Jesus name!