Monday, August 20, 2007

To Doubt Your Doubts


Caravaggio. Doubting Thomas. 1602-1603.
Oil on canvas. Sanssouci, Potsdam, Germany.

S
cripture
Jesus said to [Thomas], "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed" (John 20:29).

Observation
Thomas indeed was a doubter. He couldn't find himself believing the resurrected Christ until he had empirical evidence to that end. He saw a lifetime of transformed people. Even his own life had been radically changed, but in the end, he needed more proof.

Jesus invites him closer to inspect His wounds, and Thomas surrenders and declares: "My Lord and my God!" Jesus' response is telling for the many of us who might find ourselves with the same tendencies of Thomas: "Blessed are they who did not see and yet believed." In other words, Jesus reserves a special blessing for those who do not demand empirical proof to under gird their faith. The Word of Christ is enough.

In Matthew 8, Jesus comes across a Centurion who asked for his servant to be healed. Jesus graciously offers to come to his home, but the soldier replied: "Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed." Jesus then commends him and we find these words: "He marveled and said to those who were following, 'Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel'"

Application
I want to take Him at His word! Obedience to Christ will be of utmost importance to me … even when I doubt. I will doubt my doubts before I doubt my faith! I will choose to follow Christ even though my flesh may suffer and complain. And I know that His blessings and His grace will proved for me and sustain me through the years ahead.

A case in point was the most unusual thing that happened this past week. For years I had struggled to whether I should call the church to the Building Fund. I reckoned the church was already giving so much - into tithes and offerings; into missions and into the work of the community. But with the church growing and the inner sense of needing to prepare for the future, we finally re-activated the Building Fund on Aug 11 on Vision Sunday. Right after that, on Thursday, I get this call from New Creation Church that they are blessing Agape with $50, 000 towards Agape's Building Fund! God was saying again - just don't doubt his provisions. There is just no telling to how he will supply!

Prayer
Lord Jesus, I receive this exhortation and relish it. Thank you for washing me daily with the Truth of Your Word (Jn. 17:17). Please wash me daily so we can be close! I yearn to walk near to You, to reflect Your heart and to stay single minded in the purpose you have for me.