Monday, August 06, 2007

Wonder Or Rage


Scripture
"The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me ...to grant to those who mourn in Zion-to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness the planting of the LORD..." (Isaiah 61:1,3)

Observation
The prophet Isaiah is cited by Jesus Himself in Luke 4: 18 and 19 after having returned from the desert being tempted by the devil. He returned to Galilee and on the Sabbath, the book of Isaiah was handed to Him and He read aloud these words. At first the people were open, but within ten verses, they will be filled with rage.

But they were angry, not at the Scriptures, but at the fact that Jesus was relating this to Himself as the Messiah. He said, "Today, this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing." Funny thing ... at first, they were filled with wonder, and then within moments, they were filled with rage.

Application
I guess you can either be filled with courage when He speaks, or you can be filled with rage. It is really up to me.

Sometimes Jesus speaks to me through the Scriptures, and I must choose how I respond... or even whether or not I will respond. But that is not His only means of communicating. He speaks to me through people, situations, and even hurts. We can find His voice in the midst of losses as well as His congratulations in the midst of the wins. He whispers through comforts but shouts through pain. He is quiet in strength and near, very near ... in weaknesses. And if we will listen carefully, we can find confidence in the midst of attacks, joy in the midst of trials, and hope in the midst of storms.

The last two weeks I was pacing with one of my staff in her struggle with some very real pains in her ministry. I watched her move from strength to weakness to renewed strength again, having to make sense of the situation she was in and the undeserved emotional pain she had to deal with. I prayed for her that the voice of the Lord will drown all other voices she was then hearing. I prayed for myself that I as listen to her and speak into her situation that it will not be just my voice that is heard. I asked the Lord for his words for her because in such times the only words that can bring strength and healing and life are his words. Then I prayed that she will respond to his voice.

I have found that I more often miss His voice when I am on the rise, and I become sensitive again when I am in a slide. With that in mind, I think that sometimes, for me, a defeat can be more triumphant than a victory in order that my heart will again be tenderized to His voice.

Prayer
I will hear You through whatever means You use to speak to me, and I choose to be filled with wonder and not rage. Regardless of what I face, I will search for ways to find Your perspective on things so I can be filled with the calm of your confidence.