Sunday, August 12, 2007

Humbling The Heart




S
cripture
"And it came about when the king heard the words of the book of the law, that he tore his clothes... "[Because] your heart was tender and you humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I spoke against this place and against its inhabitants that they should become a desolation and a curse, and you have torn your clothes and wept before Me, I truly have heard you," declares the Lord." (2 Kings 22:11, 19)

Observation
What does the Word of God do for you? To Josiah, the Word wasn't simply education; it was revelation. It revealed the wrongs which the previous generations had committed and led Josiah to make the changes that were necessary to set his house in order. When it was read to him, it was as if the Word exploded within his heart and he was moved to take action, to make the adjustments to his life and his household. And for his humility, the Lord blessed him.

It's humility that primes our hearts to be receptive and sensitive to the revelation of God's Word. It's humility that moves us to correct and to change, to adjust and alter our ways, in favor of God's ways. It's humility that will lead to obedience of God's Word. Humility tenderizes our hearts and heightens our awareness to the leadings and promptings of the Holy Spirit who is trying to shape and mold us each day into His image.

Without humility, our hearts become hardened and resistant to change. We may read God's Word, but it simply becomes education. And while we may memorize scripture and have beautifully framed verses that decorate our walls, the Word and the lessons to be revealed, never move us to change and His Word fails to make a difference in our lives.

Application
So, how do we measure our degree of humility? By truthfully answering this question: "To what extent am I willing to make a change in my life because of what God revealed to me today? How will I be different today because of what I just read?"
Regardless of my past accomplishments and achievements, regardless of my sense of success, each day I must possess a heart of humility that is willing and open to change according to what He has revealed to me today.

Prayer
Father, just as Josiah was willing to "clean his house," so must I respond to Your Word today. Reveal to my heart the areas of my life that I must begin to sweep, especially the chambers of my heart and the corners where no one sees, except You.