Friday, September 07, 2007

What Do You Think About When You Have Nothing To Think About?



Scripture

Prov 23:7
"For as he thinks in his heart, so is he."

Observation

What do you think about when you have nothing to think about? What do you think about when you are not thinking about your studies or your work? What really fills your mind? Because what we think about when we don't have anything to think about is what we will become. Its that powerful.

Our voluntary thoughts not only reveal what we are, they predict what we will become. All our conscious behaviour arises out of our thoughts. The will can be a servant of our thoughts. And to a large degree, even our emotions follow our thoughts. That is why we say, "The more I think about it, the madder I become." Our thought make us become. Thinking stirs feelings and feelings trigger action. That is the way we are made and we might as well accept it.

The Psalms and the Prophets contain countless references to the power of right thinking to bring forth right feeling and incite right behaviour:

Ps 119:59 (NKJ)
I thought about my ways,
And turned my feet to Your testimonies.

Ps 39:3 (The Message)
My insides got hotter and hotter.
My thoughts boiled over;
I spilled my guts.

In the New Testament, Jesus equated thought with action:

Matt 5:28 (NIV)
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully
has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Paul recited a list of shining virtues and commanded, "Think about these things." (Phil 4:8)

These are but four quotes out of hundreds that can be cited in scripture. Thinking about God and holy things creates a favourable climate for the flourishing of the soul. We cannot by thinking take away our sins or become better people but we can by Spirit-inspired thinking, help to make our minds pure sanctuaries in which God is pleased to dwell.

Application

If you want to know your true spiritual condition, examine your voluntary thoughts over the last few hours or days. What have been your thoughts when you are free to think about whatever you please? If your thought was a bird that was able to fly out of your mind - was it more like a raven that went straight for dead carcasses of lust and bitterness and negativism or was it more like a dove that circled around the ark of God?

Such a test is easy to run, and if we are honest with ourselves, we can discover not only what we are but what we are going to become. We will soon be the sum of our voluntary thoughts.

Prayer

Father God, I offer my mind to You in complete surrender. Holy Spirit, come and take control of it immediately. Help me form the habit of holy thought. especially when I have nothing to think about. Amen.