Monday, November 26, 2007

From Inheritance To Experience




S
cripture
"So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law." (Gal 3:24).

"What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. 2He is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father." (Gal. 4:1).

Observation
Until the child had matured, he would not be able to receive the inheritance left by His wealthy father. He was too young when his father left, so he was put under the tutelage of another. Laws of conduct and rules of living were taught in order to train the youngster up in the way that he should go. And when he accrued the inheritance, he would steward the vast fortune well and not squander it.

So the tutor trained him, disciplined him, and worked hard with him to develop and cultivate the character, wisdom, attitudes, perspective, and skills necessary. And the tutor knew that his sole responsibility to the master was to prepare his child. He had no other purpose in life. And he must not fail in this, so he was serious about his charge.

The tutor? The Law.

Unswerving and at times rigid, it was designed to lead us to our inheritance. But now that we through Christ have inherited it, we need a daily counselor. And our Counselor? The one who is called alongside us to help? The Holy Spirit, the Paraclete; he guides us daily. The Law brought us to our inheritance in Christ, but the Holy Spirit leads us forward into maturity and how to steward our inheritance.

Application
One of the things I need now is not "more inheritance" but more courage to step forward in the use of my inheritance. I must be led by the Spirit of God, and walk into it more! I must see how it can be used for the furtherance of the Gospel without politicizing or self promotional methods.
That is why we are beginning a new series this Sunday from the book of Acts - we need so much to promote the wonder working power of the Holy Spirit!

I will continue to ask God to give me deeper wisdom on how to influence the Body of Christ. I know that we must cultivate self-feeding saints if we are to be ambassadors for Christ in these last days. I will continue to think through ways to build leaders who depend on the Word of God. This is the best way for people to apprehend their inheritance in Christ ... by knowing it! It is revealed in the Word of God.

Prayer
Dear Father:
I have so much further to go! Please ignite me anew and refresh me. Take me further than I have ever gone before. You died to give me my inheritance in Christ, so now may I be faithful in what you died for! I will proclaim Your Word and teach the saints. I will build leaders and reach the lost until you come to receive us back home! Amen!