Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Carryin The Right Spirit




S
cripture
"The Pharisees came and began to question Jesus. To test him, they asked him for a sign from heaven. He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it." Then he left them, got back into the boat and crossed to the other side."
Mark 8:11

O
bservation
Jesus must have gotten exasperated with these guys. He seems so compassionate with some and with others, He is astute. It was something about their attitudes. It's what they brought with them. They possessed a false confidence that caused them to be stricken with pride. Jesus walked away from these people. He got in a boat and crossed to the other side.

Application
My attitude is very important to God. The spirit I possess when I come to Him is essential. If it is a testy attitude, the door will be closed. If it is a cocky or "know-it-all" kind of attitude, I will find Him distanced from me. Nothing but a humble and contrite heart will be acceptable.

Psalms 51:17 reminds us: "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise."

There are sometimes I go into some meetings with an attitude. It could have been exacerbated by some people problems, but I must continue to cultivate a heart of humility and compassion. I must ask instead of tell, disciple instead of dictate, and encourage good decisions rather than waiting to reprimand bad ones. It is only with a humble heart that God will show up for my meetings to make something good take place.

Prayer
Lord, thank you for reminding me how important my spirit is. Help me to cultivate a humble spirit no matter who I am dealing with. But at the same time, help me not to be gullible to succumb to those I should have left long ago. Teach me who I should disciple and show me the ones I need to get in a boat and just go to the other side!