Monday, November 19, 2007

Blessing To Build


Painting on raising Jairus' daughter by Gustave Dore.

S
cripture

While Jesus was still speaking, some men came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue ruler. "Your daughter is dead," they said. "Why bother the teacher any more?" Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, "Don't be afraid; just believe."
(Mark 5:35).

Observation
Jesus has always been known as the One who hears us all. He is the One knows us individually and cares. But sometimes He ignores certain ones.

"Is it I Lord?"

Jairus was a synagogue leader with a sickly daughter. Having requested of Jesus to pray, they began making their way toward the house. But in route, some men intercepted Him with news that the daughter was dead.

"Why bother the teacher anymore? It's over. Accept it."

The Bible then tells us that Jesus ignored them!

Instead of giving up the chase, Jesus reassures Jairus that he needs to keep Plan A and move forward. It wouldn't be long before people would see a little girl arise and astonishment would fill the house.

I've done that. I've ignored a rude comment, an off-the-cuff remark that was not worth arguing over. Or a poorly timed or off colour joke that was better left unnoticed than dealt with.

I wonder if Jesus has ever has to ignore me because of something I said? Maybe when I was a wet blanket to someone's zeal? Or I wonder if I have ever diminished someone's faith by settling for second best? We all can be too much like the men from the synagogue by minimizing something that means nothing to us but a great deal to another.

Application
I am realizing that I need to bolster the faith of others. I must be careful of my words and be sure that I am encouraging others' desire to follow God's best. Agape need not just another church. Instead, it must be a place where people can find solutions to their problems. I know that there are times where we will not be able to change circumstances, but still we can help people to rise above them.

I don't ever want Jesus to have to ignore me in order to give faith a chance.

I want God to marvel at my faith and my willingness to see things change. How easy it is to slide into mediocrity until it becomes "normal" and even "religious." I will choose to take the higher road and challenge people toward their best.

Instead, my prayer is that I be, according to Jeremiah 15:19, a spokesman for God!
"If you return, then I will restore you - before Me you will stand; and if you extract the precious from the worthless, you will become My spokesman."

Completing the three sermons on Anger Management has been a rewarding experience. To keep the messages biblical, personal and practical has been fulfilling. But the best part was calling the church to rise above our anger-driven, revenge-filled culture and be counter-cultural - blessing those who mistreat us.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, Thank you for teaching me Your ways by allowing me to shadow You through the Word. Thank you also for the privilege of being Your spokesman. Help me to see you as You are, and then pattern my life after Yours. In Jesus' name, Amen!