Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Dangers of Taking Matters Into Your Own Hands


Scripture
"Some Hebrews even crossed the Jordan to the land of Gad and Gilead. Saul remained at Gilgal, and all the troops with him were quaking with fear. He waited seven days, the time set by Samuel; but Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and Saul's men began to scatter. So he said, "Bring me the burnt offering and the fellowship offerings." And Saul offered up the burnt offering. Just as he finished making the offering, Samuel arrived, and Saul went out to greet him. "What have you done?" asked Samuel. ? Saul replied, "When I saw that the men were scattering, and that you did not come at the set time, and that the Philistines were assembling at Micmash, I thought, 'Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the LORD's favor.' So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering." "You acted foolishly," Samuel said. "You have not kept the command the LORD your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure; the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him leader of his people, because you have not kept the LORD's command." (I Samuel 13:7-14)

Observation
It was not long since Saul had been confirmed as the first king of Israel. So far, he had only led them through one battle campaign against the Ammorites. Now his son, Jonathan had attacked a Philistine garrison, and suddenly Saul and Israel found themselves in a war with the Philistines. The Philistines gathered together an immense army of 30,000 chariots, 6,000 horsemen and the Scripture says, soldiers like the sand on the seashore. It was an immense army of the enemy coming against the Israelites, the odds were overwhelmingly against them, and the Hebrew soldiers were quaking with fear. Now Saul waited for Samuel, just as he had been told, so that Samuel could seek God on behalf of the Israelites and get God's counsel and wisdom for the battle. When Samuel didn't show up on time and the people began to leave, Saul took matters into his own hands and offered up the burnt offering. So what's the big deal? Saul took matters into his own hands and did the holy work of God that only the priests were allowed to do. He disregarded God's rules and did what he had no right to do. Why did he do it? To please God? No, he did it out of fear of losing the people who were with him. It was a bad move and interestingly enough, just as he finishes the sacrifice, Samuel shows up! And Saul gives his very best excuse, first blaming the scattering men and then Samuel for not showing up on time. But it was a costly mistake. Samuel said, "You acted foolishly, you didn't do what God told you. If you had, your kingdom over Israel would have been secure, but since you didn't do what you were supposed to, Your kingdom won't last, in fact, God has already chosen an new king, a man after His own heart. All because you didn't trust the Lord and obey Him."

Wow, to call it a costly mistake is such an understatement! His whole blessed life, his calling from God, his position and role as leader of a nation, all cancelled out by refusing to wait for God's timing and to follow Him completely.

Application
How many times have I wanted to jump the gun and not wait for God? Have I ever caved in and did something I knew I shouldn't do,, because of people pressure, because of fear of man? I need to learn well here from the mistakes of Saul. It doesn't work out! Saul was insecure in his leadership and when people started to leave, he allowed that pressure to push him to make a choice that was outside of God's will. He buckled under pressure and it cost him dearly.

So what do I need to do?
First, I need to be secure in the position that God has called me to and placed me in. If he has made me a leader, then it is up to me to lead. I need to be open to input from others, but never to allow pressure from others to cause me to compromise my obedience to my Master.

Secondly, when being pressured to make a decision or to take some action; I need to take a step back and run to God for confirmation and strength to do His will no matter what.

Thirdly, I need to have high regard for the roles of others and never presumptuously step in and operate in an area that has not been given to me.

And fourthly, I need to have the highest regard for the holiness of God and never treat lightly the things that He calls holy. As a Christian, my life is to be set apart (or holy) for Him. I am a temple of His Holy Spirit who is in me. I need to make sure that I take good care of His temple, that I don't bring anything unclean and sinful into His holy temple. And everything that I do to worship and serve Him is holy work. I need to focus upon Him, to be present with Him and to do whatever I do with all my heart, as unto the Lord, and not for men.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for this great lesson from Saul. Teach me how to walk so closely with You through every circumstance of life, that when the tests and trials and pressures come, that I would never be found far away from You. I know that as I am faithful to abide in Your presence moment by moment, as I open the Word daily and engage in prayer earnestly, then I will have access to Your counsel, direction and power; and I will be able to make the right decisions in times of pressure and I will lead my family, and all those You call me to lead, well. In Jesus' name. Amen.