Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Seeking God Continually



Scripture
"Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face continually" (1 Chronicles 16:11).

Observation
"Continually" - one word that qualifies, and quantifies, this entire verse. It's seeking Him not just when the chips are down; it's seeking His face not just when the going gets tough; it's having a continuing, and relentless pursuit of the Lord, His ways, His directions, His purposes and desires for your life, regardless of the circumstances; it's seeking Him in times of poverty and times of prosperity.

David discovered the difference between part-time devotion and devotion that is "24/7." He learned it through a tragic lesson that was mined in the irony of transporting the Ark of the Lord. Historically, David had repeatedly sought the Lord prior to every major battle, and the Lord never failed him. When he needed the Lord the most, when anxieties and tensions ran high, David was open and receptive to the Lord's direction.

Application
How ironic, however, when peace had finally rested on his side, and in the midst of performing a spiritual task, David neglected God's direction, allowed his spiritual guards to drop, and in so doing failed to follow God's moving instructions on transporting the Ark. Consequently, one of his men suffered at the expense of David's error.

We exhibit the same tendencies in our lives, don't we - when facing struggles, when approaching the battle lines, we fall to our knees and cry out to God. But, once victory has been won, once we're on the road to recovery and in the midst of celebration, we tuck Him away and proceed on our own.

I woke up to this yesterday. While I have been busy seeking the Lord for the downpour camp; somehow I had stopped seeking Him in my priestly role of father to my family. It was not until something happened on Sunday that I went back to Him and I found the Lord had so much to say, much of which I just missed because, until then, I wasn't listening.

God isn't to be treated like a road map that's taken out only when we're lost, then folded neatly away once we're on the highway. He needs to be alive and active in every phase and season of our life. It seems, however, that we forget God when we get caught in the swell of momentum of peace and success. Someone once said, the hardest challenge for anyone isn't to survive tests of poverty, but to survive tests of prosperity. When the going gets good, we can't afford to forget God. Our pursuit of Him must be relentless and, here's that word, continually.

Prayer
Father, forgive me for forgetting you when all things are well. When I was in need of You, you were always there for me. You saw me through the battles. It seems whenever I relaxed my guard, lowered my face from seeking you, it has always been in seasons of peace and plenty, and it was then that I made the worst mistakes. Help me to keep my eyes fixed on you, regardless of the seasons or the circumstances of my life.