Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Opening the Closets Before God



Scripture

"Then Joshua said to Achan, "Why have you brought trouble on us? The LORD will now bring trouble on you." And all the Israelites stoned Achan and his family and burned their bodies." Joshua 7:25

Observation

Because of Achan's greed and lust after riches, having stolen a piece of rope, silver coins and a bar of gold, 36 soldiers died in combat against Ai, the armies of Israel lost their courage and fear struck the soldiers hearts. Joshua inquired of God and God revealed the problem - there is sin in the camp. A poor impulsive decision to satisfy the cravings of greed and lust led Achan and his family to the penalty of death. A poor decision can cost, not only my life, but the lives of others as well.

Application

I want to be very careful when I'm living in vulnerable moments - moments of temptation. When seemingly no one is around or watching, I can be sure that God is watching me.

When my children were young, several times I've heard them pick on each other. I would sneak up close to hear every word, moving into position to watch them if a brawl breaks out - without them seeing me or knowing I'm there. I want to bust them and have the first hand account of what was said and done. They can't make up "stories" about who started it and get away with blaming each other.

I wonder if the Father whispers over to Jesus, while witnessing me being tempted or giving in to temptation, saying, "Check this guy out. Does he not realize we are listening in and watching every move he makes?" This morning, the Lord is reminding me that He is watching me. He's not just watching over me and out for me - He is watching me. I'd better clean up some thoughts, motives and behind the curtain attitudes and actions at home. I am warned that my family and I will reap what I sow - so be careful what I’m sowing at home, behind closed doors.

Prayer

Dear Father,
I dare not think I can hide or get away with the "termite" sins within me. Help me to rid my thought life and heart of anything that displeases you. Help me to be more aware with a reverent awe and fear for You - to live free in Christ. Thanks for Your grace, love and conviction to be vulnerable and transparent before you and the family.