Wednesday, May 16, 2007

When Options Run Dry



Scripture
"Now Nahash the Ammonite came up and besieged Jabesh-gilead; and all the men of Jabesh said to Nahash, "Make a covenant with us and we will serve you." But Nahash the Ammonite said to them, "I will make it with you on this condition, that I will gouge out the right eye of every one of you, thus I will make it a reproach on all Israel" (1 Samuel 11:1-2)

Observation
Nahash was simply toying with the Israelites emotions. He knew they were desperate, confused and disorganized and thus offered this ridiculous ultimatum - "I will make a deal with you on one condition; you will allow me to gouge out the right eye of every man." It was an outlandish and unreasonable proposal, yet it was accepted by the elders of the city; leaders who were looked upon as tutors of wisdom, yet here collapsed under the pressures of desperation. From their perspective, their options had run dry. They were desperate people living in desperate times, making desperate decisions.

Desperation often occurs when you feel as if you've run out of options, when you find yourself painted into that proverbial corner with no way out. Under such circumstances even the most ridiculous can sound reasonable.

Desperate times often demand desperate decisions - decisions that are unwise, that risk the lives and safety of others; decisions that are based on circumstances of the moment and give no thought to the future. When life seems to lead to nowhere but a dead end, desperation has a tendency to pull you into its downward spiral of confusion.

Application
I need to make sure that I avoid this dark vortex of desperation. Decisions that I must make for my family, for my ministry, in leadership, as a husband and a father cannot be made in desperation. If desperation breeds where options have gone dry, then I must, in all my decisions never stop seeking options and consider all viable alternatives that will allow me to achieve the Godly goals for my life. I cannot afford to allow myself to resign to the perception that my options have run out, otherwise I become open game to the enemy who will toy with my emotions, as Nahash did with the Israelites, and I will soon find myself agreeing to the ridiculous, rather than the reasonable.

Prayer
Father, with Your provisions and Your guidance, may I never run out of options that are God-guided. Open my eyes so that I may see where you are leading and my ears to hear Your calling and direction for my life.