Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Leadership; My Children's Leadership




Scripture
"When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over Israel, they went up in full force to search for him, but David heard about it and went down to the stronghold. Now the Philistines had come and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim; so David inquired of the LORD, "Shall I go and attack the Philistines? Will you hand them over to me?" The LORD answered him, "Go, for I will surely hand the Philistines over to you" (2 Samuel 5:17-19).

Observation
David is promoted by God and a full force assault of the enemy is upon him. I love David's reaction - he moved forward, ready to act and eagerly prayed to seek the Lord's counsel on whether or not he should proceed. My heart is inspired today, in this season of my leadership, to be always prepared to lead well. I am so excited about what God will do at the Downpour camp but I am also so aware that every spiritual promotion will be met with assaults. Both the Word and experience bear witness to that. When there are spiritual attacks I must be ready to seek the Lord.

Application
Over the years, especially near church camp seasons (which are seasons for spiritual promotion) , there have been some enemy assaults on my children, especially. I remember just before the 2000 camp, my daughter broke my heart and the devil used that pain to distract me. Last church camp, it was my son's turn to break my heart, the effect of which I did not feel until months later. During other years, weariness of being told what to do and when to do it and attitudes and desires to have their "freedom of choice" showed up with intensity in the kids, especially nearing church camps.

But through all these setbacks and some attacks, we all grew individually, stronger and deeper in the Lord. Strangely, God never stopped promoting us spiritually. Today my kids are being asked to lead at home, at church and in their learning institutions - to grow in taking responsibilities.

So my instructions to them (and myself) today:
  1. Be ready to be assaulted when you are promoted or asked to lead.
  2. Always aim your inquiries toward God in times of conflict. That way, you grow stronger.
  3. Don't hesitate or shy away from conflict. Be proactive, prepared to confront. Take responsibility. That way, you grow deeper.
Prayer
Dear Father... thanks for Your Holy Spirit in my heart, working in me to will and do of Your good pleasure. I need Your guidance and conviction to be a leader like David, who sought Your heart and will. Lead my children in Your ways - help them to grow as prayer warriors and capable leaders, after Your own heart.